FACULTY OF ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING
UNIVERSITI TEKNOLOGI MARA
PROGRAMME BACHELOR OF ENGINEERING (HONs) MECHANICAL
COURSE ELECTRONICS & MICROPROCESSOR (ECE 590)
CREDIT HOUR 3 (3 hrs. Lecture, 1 hr. Tutorial per week)
SEMESTER July 2008 – Dec 2008
LECTURER NORAZLAN B HASHIM
H/P: 013-204 5895, Off: 03-5543 5108, e-mail: email@example.com
Room: T2 A17-2A
This course is to provide essential knowledge and understanding to students on the operation of diodes, transistors and their applications. It also covers the topics on digital principles and microprocessor system, programming and interfacing.
At the end of the course, the students are expected:
1. To learn and develop knowledge in basic electronic devices.
2. To develop knowledge in the operation simple electronic circuits.
3. To learn and develop knowledge in logic devices and circuits.
4. To learn microprocessor system, programming and simple interfacing techniques.
Course Work Percentage
2 Test – 20% each
Total course work 40%
Final Examination 60%
Total Marks 100%
1. Thomas L. Floyd, "Electronic Devices - Conventional Current Version", Seventh ed., Prentice Hall, 2004.
2. Peter H. Beards., "Analog and Digital Electronics", Second ed., Prentice Hall, 1991.
3. James L. Antonakos., "The 68000 Microprocessor", Fifth ed., Prentice Hall, 2004.
4. David V. Kerns Jr., David Irwin., "Essentials of Electrical and Computer Engineering', Prentice Hall, 2004.
WEEK TOPIC OBJECTIVES
Circuit Theory (Review): Ohm's Law, Kirchhoff's Laws.
Introduction to Electronics System
- Able to describe analog and digital electronic systems
2 - 3
Semiconductor, Diodes and Power Supplies
- Intrinsic and Extrinsic Semiconductor
- p and n types semiconductors
- Diode characteristics
- pn junction diode, Zener Breakdown
- AC to DC conversion: power supply circuits; rectifiers, filters
- Able to describe semiconductor and its types
- Able to describe diode operation
- Able to describe power supply circuit and its operation
- Able to design simple power supply circuit
4 - 7
- Field Effect Transistors (FET); properties
- Bipolar Junction Transistor (BJT);
characteristics and operations
- single stage BJT amplifiers
- DC Analysis of BJT/FET
- AC Analysis of BJT/FET
- Able to describe transistor operation
- Able to design and analyze simple amplifier circuits
8 - 9 Operational Amplifier (Op-Amp)
- features and properties
- applications - Able to describe the operation of an op-amp
- Able to design simple applications
10 - 11 Digital Logic Circuits
- number systems
- logic gates and functions
- Combinational logic circuits; adders, decoders, encoders, mux, demux
- Sequential logic circuits; flip-flops, counters, registers - Able to convert between different
- Able to minimise Boolean functions using K-map
- Able to design and construct combinational logic circuits
- Able to use common MSI devices
- Able to design and construct sequential logic circuits
12 - 14 Introduction to Microprocessor
- microprocessor system and operation
- Flowchart and programming
- I/O Interfacing and programming
- Data converter design; ADC, DAC -Able to describe a microprocessor system
- Able to describe a microcomputer operation
- Able to write simple assembly language programs for the applications
The theoretical aspects will be covered through lectures and tutorials.